Thursday, March 7, 2013

In search of Beautiful Kitchens....

Kitchens are no longer a mundane place where meals are churned out...They have transecnded functionality and is now a very aesthetic area where folks unwind and de-stress by trying out new recipes and ideas !

We at Zaarga love beautiful and well accessoried spaces. So we had a whim to hunt down kitchens with character and soul...and that's what we have been doing this past week though our "Beautiful Kitchen" Contest!

The response was incredible, and we enjoyed looking through every picture that we received...And for our dear readers, here are the ones shortlisted for the final prize - in no particular order...


Mary Isaac's woody, red-white, cherry themed one was one of our earliest entries, and it was love at first sight!

Mary Isaac's Kitchen


Mary says "Though on any given day, I'd place my bets on a rather spacious island kitchen complete with its own mini herb garden, the fact is a puny 6 x 7 sq ft space in my rented apartment is what I have for a kitchen!

Having said that, I do believe in simple, effective and creative ways to make it brighter, better and most of all fun to cook in. And so I have this red-white-woody, cherry themed space where I cook up a storm, spill my beans, bake me a loaf and grind my teeth!..."



Praveen Manikantan, a finance professional who loves travelling and blogs about finance fundas decided to keep his kitchen simple & sleek in a pleasing offwhite shade.

Praveen Manikantan's Kitchen


Nimmu Thomas owns a beautiful half open kitchen with a breakfast counter. The mini replicas of good ol' pickle jars, green gingham pelmet on the window and the ceramics on display are a statement of her fine taste and personal style.



Nimmu Thomas' Kitchen


Anu Ignatius added splashes of colour to her sleek all wooden kitchen with few bottled plants and a colourful bottle preserve..

Anu Ignatius' Kitchen


Sreekumari Rajan spends quite a bit of her day in cooking, and loves the traditional wood finish for her kitchen.

Sreekumari Rajan's Kitchen


Kavitha Ram packs a lot of activities in her kitchen space! Her choice of black & steel accessories & the fruit theme, complete with the vines on the pelmet cut the monotony of wood and bring colour and fun to the space.


Kavitha Ram's Kitchen
 "Kitchen is the hub of the home which I think is the most hardworking room. It should hold the charm and appeal that evokes creativity in the cook and speaks about the personality of the owner. My kitchen was the deciding factor for us when we bought our house. Steel and chrome with grey is our theme around. So we have steel back splashes ,steel appliances  with cherry floors and cabinets that give it that contemporary touch....Thanks for giving us the oppurtunity and organizing such a contest", says Kavitha.

 

Munira Sayed's brand new kitchen is beautifully crafted in dark wood with white accents.

Munira Sayed's Kitchen

Says Munira about her kitchen, "I’m a complete foodie but not a huge fan of cooking, its almost like a chore for me on a daily basis, so I needed my kitchen to be endearing so it inspires me to spend more time in there. Being a professional I hardly get too much time to spend in the kitchen so primarily my kitchen had to be sleek , contemporary and absolutely made for a woman on the go. Contemporary kitchens focus on open spaces & functionalism..Well I’m glad its turned out that way. At the same time I wanted it to have a dash of warmth. So here it is my contemporary, warm & beautiful kitchen."


Vidya Sundaram likes a no-nonsense, practical kitchen for her quick sessions at the kitchen; and the island doubles up as the table for their regular family meals.




Vidya on her kitchen- "With both of us working, we have a pretty hectic life during the week. Our kitchen is the place where our family hangs out together every evening. I love this space because while dinner is being cooked, we also get to share our day's events with each other. My favorite is the big island that serves as the seating space for us to hang out or even have a quick meal together. I always favor function and practicality. So my kitchen is extremely functional, with the cabinets designed for a "on the go" working woman. I also like my kitchen uncluttered without too many things on my counter-top - so it's spartan in that sense."

Bright colours in the kitchen need to be tackled with care...And Saira Biju has, with an artistic ease, achieved beauty while being bold.


 
 
Saira says, "Being a artist myself ,my workplace always has to inspire me.Outside canvas, kitchen is another place which helps me to escape from the daily monotony. Being a mother of a toddler and an infant I guess I don't have to explain why I need a hideout. I believe bold is beautiful hence I have chosen a RED  and BLACK combination for my works pace.The frosted wall cabinets calms down the atmosphere and steel finish appliances compliments the  bold colors and gives it a very modern feel. Its relatively a small kitchen and I love it for that reason as moving around and keeping it clean is much easier. I love my kitchen and my family loves what i bring out of it:)"
 
We thank the Z Community for actively participating in the Contest, following it on our Social Media and making this a great success!! And now, like all of you, we are eagerly waiting for the results!! Best Wishes to all the shortlisted participants! :-D
 
Cheers!
Team Z
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment